NHIG two-day CPD course
- Subject: Architectural ironwork conservation course
- Cost: £250 including lunches
- Booking form: NHIG CPD Course Booking Form (.docx)
- Course information flyer: NHIG CPD Course London 2016 (.jpg)
What is it about?
Aimed at professionals and craftspeople, this NHIG course is an introduction to the conservation of ironwork. You will learn about the manufacture, use and deterioration of historic ironwork, how to assess its condition and specify or carry out conservation and provide ongoing care. There will be sessions on conservation ethics, surface preparation and coatings, tender procurement, and a practical session assessing ironwork on local sites.
Tender procedures often require the commissioner of the work to have knowledge of the medium in order to procure the best value. We are offering you this knowledge with lecturers designed to equip those wishing to commission work on listed ironwork, whether architects, surveyors or conservation professionals with information they will find essential in the writing of specifications.
The course includes:
- An introduction to heritage ironwork and historical context
- Metallurgy of wrought iron and steels
- Traditional tools, techniques, materials, design, and manufacture, with a focus on fixings
- Discussion on working with iron and steel, the process of restoration, surface preparation and treatments
- Specification and standards for heritage ironwork
- Contracts and procurement.
Geoff Wallis & Chris Topp are both experienced practitioners with many decades of joint experience, considerable knowledge of the subject, and are enthusiastic lecturers. The course is now in its sixth year and is as popular as ever.
Continued Professional Development (CPD)
CPD is the means by which people maintain their knowledge and skills related to their professional lives. CPD obligations are common to many professions. Many professions define CPD as a structured approach to learning to help ensure competence to practice, taking in knowledge, skills and practical experience. CPD can involve any relevant learning activity, whether formal and structured or informal and self-directed.
Past delegate feedback and reviews can be found on our CPD page.